Welcome

Hello All. Here is a blog to dicuss topics on natural black hair. Feel free to ask questions on your natural hair concerns. If I can cannot answer your question personally, I will refer you to another educated person. Enjoy.

And Always Remember to
Love your natural hair because black is beautiful

Monday, December 13, 2010

Hair Terminology

Hello beautiful natural (or soon to be natural) women.  Ok so this is the first piece I’m doing.  Just for future reference, you may hear your hair referred to by a number and a letter.  This simply means:
  • Type 1: Naturally bone straight hair (white hair)
  • Type 2:  Wavy hair
  • Type 3: Soft and curly hair
ok now for us...
  • Type 4: Coilly/ Kinky hair
    • 4a: Looser coil spiral shape
    • 4b: tighter kinky zig zag shape
    • I have also seen a reference to 4c, but I’m guessing it’s the most curly/coilly/kinky of them all.
Unfortunately, type 4 hair is the driest and most fragile of them all.  Black hair is usually dry by nature but is also caused because unlike straight or wavy hair our hair’s natural oils cannot go down to the entire hair shaft.  Therefore, the oils stay near the base and our ends tend to be dry and brittle.  This is why it’s extremely important to condition your hair well. (Stay tuned for a segment on conditioning techniques) I notice this when my hair is straight because after four to five days my hair is oily (you will learn that I don’t like my hair greasy, but i hate dry hair). On the contrary, when it’s natural I can hardly tell any sign of increased oiliness.  I feel it’s important to know your hair and when it gets oily.  Everyone no matter what type of hair, has to determine when it’s best to wash their hair.  For me it probably should be every four to five days, but I usually wait seven days for my own convenience.  But no matter how fast oils are produced I believe hair should not exceed two weeks without a washing. Personally I wash my hair every week and I’m a firm believer in this, and through some of my research there are others who agree.  Reason being that hair collects not only your own oils and sweat but also toxins, dirt, and other pollutants from the environment that sit on the hair as a build up, blocking pores and prohibiting hair growth.  (I will do another segment on when and how to wash) Feel free to ask questions if you have any. Okay well until next time... LOVE YOUR NATURAL HAIR!

No comments:

Post a Comment